Monday, March 23, 2009

Setting up VMware View Lab - The Fundamentals

Hi,
In this post I'd like to describe how I set up a demo lab of VMware View 3.01 Virtual Desktop environment.

When my lab is finished, I would like to be able to demo connecting to WindowsXP and Windows7 (beta)  desktops over a secure Internet (WAN) connection from anywhere, using my laptop as the "client".  I would also like to show how a user can seamlessly "switch" between WindowsXP and Windows7 sessions "on the fly" to further demonstrate the power of VDI.

My Lab consists of the following:
  • ESX 3.5 upd.3 and Virtual Center 2.5 upd.4
  • For hardware I built a "whitebox" ESX server based on: 
CPU: INTEL Q6600 Quad-Core 2.40G
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS|P5BV-M 
MEMORY: 8 GB CORSAIR TWIN2X4096-6400C5 R
DISK: SATA SEAGATE HD 640G|ST 7K 32M ST3640323AS
(huge THANKS to Chad Sakac for his excellent 'whitebox' blogpost:
  • VMware View 3.01 Connection Server running on Windows 2003 SP2 (the Broker)
  • VMware View 3.01 Security Server running on Windows 2003 SP2 (the gateway that will proxy the connections from the client on the Internet to the virtual machines over SSL on port 443). This server is in my DMZ.
  • Two virtual machines (WindowsXP and Windows7 Beta)
My client is a WindowsXP virtual machine running inside VMware Workstation on my laptop.

The next Posts will explain the details of my Lab's configuration.

No comments:

Post a Comment